Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Not So Homeless Man

For the past several months I've noticed an older gentleman hanging around my office building outside, everyday. Sometimes he will sit in the lobby of our building (very rare), sometimes right outside the door, and sometimes on a bench beside the building. A few co-workers of mine have spoken with the man and asked if he was okay and he always says hes fine. He seems very content being outside our office "people watching" and chatting it up with an occasional person. At first, you would think this man was homeless 1. by the way he dresses (looks kinda bumish I guess) 2. and that he is ALWAYS at our building (seems like he has no where to go) but he isn't homeless. When I pull up at work in the morning, hes always sitting outside looking around and when I leave work, he is most of the time still outside checking things out. The reason I'm pretty sure he isn't homeless is because I've noticed several things that make me believe he has a home somewhere. 1. 90% of the time, he has a cup of coffee in his hand from a local gas station. 2. He smokes cigarettes (a lot). 3. He recently got his hair cut a lot shorter than it usually is. 4. He never has any bags to carry around. 4. Sometimes he catches the bus into town. 5. His clothes always seem to be clean. 6. He doesn't show up on rainy days. 7. He always seems to have a smile on his face. This gentleman is a friendly man. I speak to him every once in awhile in passing and he always speaks back. I've heard through office chit chat that he lives close to our building. The sad thing is that I have a feeling that he may be lonely and that's why he is outside our office building everyday. Apparently he has no other place he would care to go and sometimes I don't blame him, our office can sometimes be entertaining. I have a feeling that the people he runs into outside our office, may be the only people he sees/speaks to all day, everyday. Some people may be hesitant about this man hanging around and want him to leave, but he isn't hurting anything or anyone. Now if he was hanging around the employee parking lot or any back doors, yea we would probably have to ask him to leave but hes always at the front of the building away from the parking lot. Sometimes hes near the side of the building which is just a bunch of pine trees but could be a good place to watch traffic. I pray that this not so homeless man is happy and if hanging around our office is making him happy, then thats okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment