Saturday, May 21, 2011

TLC's Extreme Couponing

For the past month or so I've been hooked to TLC's Extreme Couponing show. If you haven't seen this show yet, you really need to watch it. The show is basically about people who cut coupons and track sales to save a HUGE amount of money. I'm talking all of the people who are on the show go to the grocery store and rack up between $500 to $1500 worth of groceries and end up spending basically nothing on all of the groceries just by using their knowledge of the store policies and by couponing. I really want to learn how they do this, but not to the extreme. Don't get me wrong, I do cut coupons and use them all of the time but I'm not sure how they double up or triple up on the coupons to where the grocery store owes them money or they end up pay nothing at all. TLC actually had one lady who purchased $700 worth of groceries, used her store card, coupons, and at the end of her check out the grocery store actually owed her $8. WOW! The people on this show actually have stock piles in their homes where they keep this over abundance of supplies. For instance, most them have like three hundred rolls of toilet paper or this one guy had a thousand boxes of tooth paste. One lady had a years supply of diapers but doesn't even have a baby. Go figure? Now don't get me wrong, this stock pile of goods is a good thing. BUT I've only seen two people on this show (and I've seen lots of episodes) that actually use this talent of extreme couponing to help others in the community. How could people use their basements or garages to stock tons of can goods, toiletries and other supplies that they paid basically nothing for and not give to people who need those basic things. Why not? Like the lady with the diapers. She doesn't even have a baby. Give it to someone who needs it! Many of those goods will eventually expire and how could you possibly eat 300 bags of potato chips? You would either get sick of chips or they would expire by the time you got to eat them all. I would really like to see more extreme couponers use their talent to help others that are in need. I know I would.

Deuteronomy 16:17Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you.

2 comments:

  1. It's too much work to coupon. haha I'm too lazy. Although now that Colin is here and the little dude tinkles and poos with every blink of an eye, I do keep my eyes out for coupons for wipes and diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jill!
    I agree!! I haven't seen the TLC show yet but I have heard of people like this & I've wondered HOW do they do it (using all those coupons, doubling coupons & paying so little or nothing for groceries)?!? I use coupons whenever I can for groceries & eating out, etc., but deffinitely not to that extreme either. I have doubled coupons at Target before (use a manufacture's coupon & Target's coupon for the same item) & it really does help save, but it takes so much time to match them up! I really wish I had the time & knowledge of HOW to save that much money!
    I completely agree with you about the people that stock pile all of that stuff that they are never going to use or it will expire before they even get a chance to use it. I think they should be on that other show called "Hoarders".
    I totally agree they should use their talents to help other people, especially if they are getting those things for FREE. That just makes common sense to me, I would think that would make sense to them! If you have something that you don't need or are not using but it could benefit someone else, why not help them.

    ReplyDelete